subscribearchivescontact

topsy-turvy

 I have a confession: I collect paper. Old paper. New paper. Paper Dolls. Paper flowers. Paper streamers. Books full of paper. Scraps of leftover paper from other projects. None of this would be so bad if I would use each piece. (I am after all a big believer in using what you have – no fancy hand towels that no one is allowed to touch in my bathroom.)

But the truth is, I don’t use it all. And it stacks up. And then the guilt sets in, which I am sure you would agree is not great for the creative spirit, which results in the paper sitting untouched still and then the cycle starts all over. So in a fit of resolution, this year I am trying to use my paper and my scraps more. Buy less. Use what I have. That is the plan.

For Christmas, my mother gave me a great set of Betsy McCall paper doll reproductions. Rather than adding them to the stack of untouched paper ephemera in my studio, I wanted to honor her gift by finding a way to use them sooner rather than later. And I must confess, I really wanted to play paper dolls.

This project can be interpreted many different ways and can involve as many hands (big and small) as you want. Besides paper dolls, you could use illustrations from vintage books, the fronts of pattern envelopes, images from greeting cards, large stickers or even hand drawn characters.

Need a theme to find inspiration? Give these books instead of Valentine’s Day cards. Or fill an Easter Basket with the supplies for little ones to make their own books while they wait on Easter Dinner to be ready. Or perhaps just make a few to take on a long road trip. Just remember – this is a Topsy Turvy project, so have fun and mix it up a bit!

by Jerusalem Greer

Do you have a question about the project? Want to share how your creation turned out? Or just want to chime in with how much you love it too?
Just leave a comment below.

the complete instructions 
for this project is found in the 
spring issue of inspired ideas, 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions, comments, adoration? Post it all here and join the conversation!